Those who have read my latest blog posts know that I have been trying out Fedora 19 since the Alpha release became available. Initially just the “regular” (Gnome) version and since around Beta also the LXDE release for the OpenBox part of it. Since I encountered basically no major issues I was confident enough about the quality and stability of Fedora 19 to now also update my “production” version of Fedora 18 to 19.

When I went from Fedora 17 to 18 I used FedUp for the first time, as can be read in this blog post. Since I was very pleased with how it worked I used FedUp also to upgrade now from Fedora 18 to 19. You can debate whether a clean install is preferred and I do admit that from time to time I do a clean install simply to get rid of “left behind (s)crap”. Since I just recently – unwillingly forced – had to do a clean install (see Fedora 19 … New things learned) I was not to uncomfortable with upgrading.

In order to perform the upgrade I basically just followed the steps as described in the FedUp documentation. So first I installed FedUp
sudo yum install fedup

Next I provided the command that prepares the upgrade by downloading the required packages
sudo fedup-cli --network 19

FedUp @ work

FedUp @ work

Unfortunately this stopped before it was finished with the following error
Downloading failed: Errors were encountered while downloading packages.
google-chrome-stable-28.0.1500.68-209102.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

For me this is not the first time that the Google Chrome repos are unavailable and since they remained unavailable at a second try I simple removed my chrome repo file (temporarily) to my Documents folder
sudo mv /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo ~/Documents/

Issued the fedup-cli command again and now it finished without errors, confirmed by checking the /var/log/fedup.log, as can be seen below
setting up repos...
No upgrade available for the following repos: Dropbox virtualbox
getting boot images...
.treeinfo                                                | 1.1 kB     00:00
setting up update...
finding updates 100% [=========================================================]
verify local files 100% [======================================================]
testing upgrade transaction
rpm transaction 100% [=========================================================]
rpm install 100% [=============================================================]
setting up system for upgrade
Finished. Reboot to start upgrade.
NOTE: Some repos could not be contacted: Dropbox, virtualbox
If you start the upgrade now, packages from these repos will not be installed.

After this I rebooted and picked “System Upgrade” from the boot menu. This started the upgrade process and now all I had to do was wait patiently. Once completed the system rebooted and gave some errors about the grub theme (no major issue and was already known), just bypassed these and the system booted with no further errors.

From the Beta tests I had already learned that the “grub errors” could be fixed by installing the starfield theme:
sudo yum install grub2-starfield-theme

Next edit the appropriate line in the  /etc/default/grub file to refer to this theme by changing the line into
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt"

And finally rebuild the grub.cfg file by issuing the command
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Now when you reboot there is a themed background again.

Fedora 19 Running

Fedora 19 Running

Those with the trained eye (and the others now as well) will notice that conky does not show an internet address and/or internet speeds. This is an issue I have to address and can be easily fixed although the bottom part is vnstat info and I would like to see that preserved and if possible integrated to the new situation where wlp3s0 is used instead of wlan0.

Furthermore I ran into issues when trying to do a “yum update”. Both DropBox and VirtualBox do not (yet) have a Fedora 19 repository. I could set those (temporarily) back to Fedora 18 but for now I have taken the same action as done for the Google Chrome repository, simply moved them from the /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory to my ~/Documents directory. I have checked and both DropBox and VirtualBox still work, so for now I’m good.

To see whether there were many orphaned packages used package-cleanup
sudo package-cleanup --orphans

The list remained showed no worrying packages and therefore that left me with no work on that side.

All in all, basically smooth sailing from start to finish. Ready to actually start using Gnome 3.8 full time.

About these ads