As could be read in my previous blog post I have made the change over from Ubuntu to Fedora. Just as with Ubuntu also with Fedora I was following the coming of the new release, Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow). From the beta release onward I was running this release in VirtualBox.
January 15 last Fedora officially released Fedora 18 and, although maybe not always wise, I just had to upgrade. As of Fedora 18 a changeover has been made from PreUpgrade to FedUp (FEDora UPgrader), meaning that if you want to upgrade to Fedora 18 or a later release now FedUp is to be used.
The wiki basically explains very clearly how to upgrade. It is very simple. The first thing to do is to install FedUp.
yum install fedup
NOTE: When performing administrative tasks I always change over to root, but those comfortable with ‘sudo’ can follow the commands keeping in mind that I ran them as root.
Once installed I have executed the following command:
fedup-cli --network 18 --debuglog fedupdebug.log --instrepo http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/qa/fedup/f18-RC4/x86_64
Currently the wiki shows the command without the –instrepo option since this option is no longer required after Fedora 18 was officially released. I have added just in case, but it seems that currently you can run it without.
Once executed FedUp will alter the repositories and pull in all the packages that are to be installed and/or upgraded. When this is completed without errors it is safe to reboot, if not it is best to examine the log to see what went wrong. In my case there were no errors so I rebooted.
After the reboot the GRUB menu will show the option “System Upgrade”. Choose this option and the upgrade will start automagically. Now simply wait until it is completed and the system is rebooted.
After the reboot the GRUB menu showed to options “Fedora” and “Advanced options for Fedora”. I opted for the regular item but that started a “simple” Fedora with no access to the wireless and more items that seemed to be missing. It turned out that I was faced with bug 893175, which caused the fedup entry to be started instead of the latest kernel version. Removing the fedup files, as indicated in comment #4, and rebuilding the GRUB menu resolved the issue.
With the upgrade also a new version of VirtualBox was installed. That I had to reinstall the VirtualBox extensions did not seem to strange to me. The fact that I had to run “/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup” did seem somewhat strange to me. Since I have DKMS installed I normally do not have to run this when the kernel is upgraded. For some reason this was not done after the upgrade.
Bottomline: Upgrading with FedUp turned out to be an easy task and did not cause any major issues.